Monday, September 12, 2016

513 - Separation Anxiety

Spirituality Column No. 513
September 13, 2016
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary
 
Separation Anxiety
By Bob Walters
 
Trusting the love and grace of Jesus Christ is our only way out – out of our fears, out of our failures, out of our pride and out of this fallen world into the glorious next.
 
Even as worldly life may be momentarily calm, sin is never really absent.  Hence it is wise and responsible to remain prayerfully ever-vigilant knowing today’s comforts and peace are fleeting.  Family and health issues pop up out of nowhere.  Each of us at any given instant is this far from a misstep, a weak moment, a self-inflicted calamity or even an innocent mistake of potentially devastating impact.
 
Every day, society-wide spiritual menace is staring Christians in the face.  Consider the overwhelming obeisance to a secular palette of false, self-aggrandizing, spirit-crippling “truth” that corrupts politics, academia, entertainment culture, media of every description and saddest of all, more than a few churches.  We are coached to “believe” patently ungodly things.  Satan constantly queries of our faith, “How can you be sure?”  Popular society’s “best and brightest” regularly ridicule the notion of Godly, objective, eternal, righteous, accountable truth.
 
Our neighbor insists, “That’s only your opinion.”
 
And I don’t buy any of it.
 
The one thing I believe is the Bible; the one thing I know is Jesus Christ; the one influence I trust is the Holy Spirit.   And I know and trust that God is always there, or here, or nearby or somewhere in the mix.  Never, ever, do I think He is absent.
 
That is the strength of a Christian walk – knowing we are not walking alone. How often we hear that sin “separates us from God.” Well, I’m here to preach that sin is the very thing that must draw us to God.  And we are drawn to the Father through Jesus Christ His Son whose mercy, compassion, love, forgiveness and righteousness constitute our entire, unwavering and exclusive survival system – our only hope – to endure and overcome the inevitable sin in each of our lives.  Want biblical proof?
 
See Genesis 3.  What is God’s first move after Adam and Eve sin … and they know they have sinned?  God goes and finds them, and curses them, and tells them the road to come will be very difficult, and throws them out of the Garden.  But there are another 65 books in the Bible that prove God never abandons them … or us.
 
More proof?  Jesus arrives.  Go to Romans 8:31-38, “…nothing can separate us from the love of God.”  Do you think Paul meant that? Knew that?  I do.
 
I turned my back on God for much of my life but when I turned back, God was there, Jesus embraced me and the Spirit has led me.
 
Sin hasn’t left me, but I know God never gives up.
 
Neither should we.
 
Walters (rlwcom@aol.com), who figures people are far more likely to leave us than God, “woke up” to Jesus in September 2001, 15 years ago.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts