Monday, October 23, 2017

571 - Truth Be Told

Spirituality Column #571
October 24, 2017
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Truth Be Told
By Bob Walters

For the peace and comfort of those within earshot around me, I rarely sing in church.

It’s a cross I bear; I can’t sing.  I try, I can’t, I don’t.  ‘Wish I could.

Many of those nearest and dearest to me sing – or once sang – very well.  Our Sunday lunch group / Small group – all choir members but me – is a restaurant show-stopper when it sings Happy Birthday to one of our gang (yes, it sounds best on my birthday because I’m not joining in).  My dad sang in his college choir, and my wife toured Europe with hers. My younger son John sang in the top notch Carmel (Ind.) High School “Ambassadors” competition show choir and performed the character “Will” in the musical “Oklahoma.”  My elder son Eric plays some guitar and has led worship.

They say talent skips a generation.  Well, here I am. Call me “Skip.”

Psalm 100 notwithstanding  “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. … come before his presence with singing” – I enjoy and am thankful, really, listening to the hymns and praises of singers who sing well.  My heart is singing right along, even if my mouth isn’t.  But sometimes my lips can’t help but join in, and Friday this past week was one of those times.

Halfway around the world in the Muslim country of Qatar on the Persian Gulf east of Saudi Arabia, Pam and I were visiting Eric and his wife Lindsey in Qatar’s truly astonishing and opulent capital city of Doha where they live and work.  The Middle Eastern city’s amazing sights, modern architecture, traditional culture, frenetic bustle of endless infrastructure projects, and the anticipatory community buzz of prestigiously hosting the 2022 World Cup soccer championship concoct a breathless civic pride and sense of purpose not adequately communicated in words (or even in song).  Doha is a happening place; Gulf States political blockade – and 100-degree heat – or not.

And though it was a great trip, this isn’t a travelogue.  It’s a Christian cry of hope from my singing heart, sharing with you that on Friday – the Muslim world’s holy day, Friday-Saturday is their weekend – we found in Doha a small but robust Christian congregation of 150 or so souls packed into an unmarked building with whom we were able to worship.  Even in a land hostile to the Gospel, the Truth was being told.

We sang hymns we knew, praised the Lord we know, heard the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ preached, and prayed that others too would learn and know.

We shared joyfully in this small but bright point of light, praising Jesus’ name and – understanding where I was; the most meaningful part of the trip – joining these resolute and courageous Christians lifting my own voice in song as loudly as I could.

Truth be told, it was a joyful noise.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) and wife Pam flew home Sunday, the first day of the workweek in Qatar and the Muslim world. As they thought of stateside friends securely going to Sunday church, Eric dropped them off at the airport on his way to work. Though the Qatari government tacitly allows the Friday church to meet and operate, still, the worship leader begins by being sure everyone knows where the emergency exits are.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts