Monday, February 26, 2018

589 - Savings Plan

Spirituality Column #589
February 27, 2018
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Savings Plan
By Bob Walters

“I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that … men may know there is none besides me.” –God, speaking to Isaiah (45:5-6)

What a week.

- The passing of Billy Graham.

- Dealing with the national tragedy of and subsequent multi-headed civic, media, and law enforcement uproar around the Parkland, Fla., school shooting.

- The previously level-headed and formerly dependably logical Purdue University issuing an online writing (OWL) policy statement to remove the descriptive “man” from its communications (as in “businessman,” “man-made” …presumably “first baseman”).

- The congregational blessing of hearing a truly excellent Wednesday night talk and Sunday sermon by renowned Christian philosophy professor and apologist Dr. Gary Habermas (extensively cited in Lee Stroebel’s best-selling book The Case for Christ).

- The private blessing of spending a couple of hours early in the week over tea in profound conversation with my theology and Christian life mentor Dr. George Bebawi at his home in Carmel while he regains strength from a recent hospital stay.

- On TV, there is an actress taking a year’s career sabbatical to help fix “democracy” (i.e. “America”).  On an internet news feed, there is a photo of a man holding a sign that says, “When Jesus comes back, we’ll kill him again.”

Wow.  Talk about a selection of opportunities for deeply reflecting on one’s faith, discerning who we trust, gauging what we really want out of life, wondering if freedom is truly the answer, and sorting the silliness of popular culture from the reality of God’s righteousness and the evil of Satan’s destructiveness.  Well, it’s been one of those.

Plenty of folks are offering loud, public, and not-always-gracious opinions on all sides of every issue – on the news, in town halls, in Congress, in churches, on Facebook, and in tenuous interpersonal conversations with those of opposite views.

May I interject something here about Jesus, salvation, and hope?  It’ll be quick.

I found myself embraced in the arms of Christ 16 years ago not because of despair, or fear, the greed of “getting a blessing,” or a particular thirst for salvation.  I was sitting in church one day only because my teenage son had floated a question at the dinner table about why we didn’t go to church.  So we went, and what I saw, what I felt, what I discerned in that service was a sense of the enormous importance of God and that somehow, I was important to Him.  I had to find out more, so I did.

In a nutshell, I learned that God’s righteousness and humanity’s importance to His Creation are supreme; we are the expression of His love.  In our freedom, with a push from Satan, humanity has proven to be awful at following God’s directions.  But our fracture with God is fixed by our faith in Jesus, and our eternal salvation – in heaven in relationship with the saint’s in God’s Kingdom – becomes a statement of God’s glory.

There is none other like God, and in Jesus Christ I know Him and He knows me.

This is my trust and assurance.  This is my shelter and strength.

That is what I think about in weeks like this.  That is my savings plan.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) thanks life-long Kokomo friend and once-upon-a-time sports writing colleague Ken McManus for the “first baseman” line.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts