Monday, August 13, 2018

613 - The Purpose of Asking, Part 1

Spirituality Column #613
August 14, 2018
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

The Purpose of Asking, Part 1
By Bob Walters

An old friend from back in my life when I spent no time thinking about Jesus sent a YouTube video to me recently via Facebook Messenger.

This friend knows I now spend a whole lot of time thinking about Jesus and thought I’d find the sincerely stated and believable video “interesting.”  The 10-minute YouTube piece (shot in 2005) was testimony by a then-72-year-old man who six years earlier during incredibly major and low-survivability heart surgery had a “near-death-and-met-God” experience.  Or maybe he met Jesus.  Or maybe both.

But, he survived the surgery and the point I want to make isn’t who he met, or the theology of it, or the specifics of the surgery, or his life before, or how the experience changed his life for the better … dramatically better, or if the fellow is still alive, or, you may ask, why am I wasting my time on Facebook and YouTube?

No, what grabbed me immediately was the YouTube title: “This man died during surgery, met God & asked Him, ‘What’s the meaning of Life?’”  And wouldn’t we all like to know the answer to that one?  From God Himself?  “What is the meaning of life?”  And to know God’s final answer, for real.  Well, I just sighed and thought immediately, “That’s the wrong question to ask.”  And I’ll tell you why.

In this life we are overly focused on the “Me” in “Meaning.”  When I insist on knowing “meaning,” I’m hedging my bet.  I’m questioning the authority, trustworthiness, and intrinsic truth of whatever and wherever that “meaning” originates.  I want to know meaning for my sake, to validate my “faith” or “truth,” and to know what’s in it for me.

The entire secular world grasps for ultimate “meaning” it simply will not find outside of God and Jesus.  And the fellow in the video, as he described himself before the surgery, reminded me of me 20 years ago: more or less believing in God and Jesus but never imagining “being religious.”  And by “religious” I don’t mean “denominational” or “churchified;” I mean “living my life as an ongoing action of faith in Christ.”

“I believe but I’m not religious” is a sentiment that an awful lot of the secular world errantly considers a theological worldview rather than the heretical dodge that it actually is.  Twenty years ago life’s grand “meaning” to me meant only “How do I put myself at the center of everything?”   Still, I would have thought, “What’s the meaning of life?” to be a brilliant question to ask God, not the naïve and self-serving puffery it is.

Nonetheless, I was certainly interested to hear how God answered the question, which the man in the video related thus: “God laughed and said, ‘The meaning of life is love; all love.’”  Of course God laughed; it’s an easy question.  The man also cried because of the love he felt during the conversation.  That’s why I think the “arms he felt” hugging him were those of Jesus, whom God sent to express His unimaginable love.

But … the secular world gets the “love” thing selfishly wrong all the time, too, i.e., it’s not about me.  And we’ll discuss that – and a better question to ask – next week.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) is leery of near-death testimonies, but felt-Godly-love is felt Godly love, Amen.  Here’s the video link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnySx2lHC8.  

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts