Monday, October 8, 2018

621 - That's the Spirit


Spirituality Column #621
October 9, 2018
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

That’s the Spirit
By Bob Walters

“…no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:11

Sitting in a college calculus class back in the mid-1970s I frequently endured stultifying mystery trying to ingest and comprehend the thoughts of the professor.

I thoroughly trusted he knew what he was doing and I got the basics of what calculus was supposed to do mathematically – measure and predict the variations of angles on curves (as I recall).  But I was more entertained than enlightened watching the formulations progress in dusty white chalk on the old slate blackboard, and let’s just say the spirit of calculus never visited my inmost being.   I escaped with a C and resumed focus on my journalism major.  Words, not numbers, were to be my life.

Faith-wise I went decades having some idea of what the Holy Spirit was supposed to be and do – it is part of the trinity and communicates Godly ideas – without my ever ingesting or comprehending its actual cosmic, life application.  In the calculus class I saw other students “get it” (calculus) and thrive, and I figured it was just fine if I left calculus to them.  I didn’t doubt calculus or think it wasn’t “real” – I wasn’t mad at it – I just never figured I personally would need or understand it.  Ditto the Holy Spirit.

I had friends who became engineers, doctors, and math teachers, and friends who became ministers and (or already were) devout Christians.  I charged ahead with a very fun sports writing, sports public relations, and corporate communications career.  “Each to his own,” I figured.  I rarely gave calculus or the Holy Spirit a thought.

Having grown up in a traditional Episcopal Church – an altar boy, no less – I retained only a patina of spiritual, Jesus, and Godly inquisitiveness after I stopped attending church in my teen years.  As an adult I’d occasionally see TV preachers who, like my old calculus professor, were interesting to watch and listen to despite my lack of understanding or aptitude.  I even picked up a Bible a few times – when I could find one – but it was as opaque an undertaking as reading a math book.  Having lived sans scriptura that long … why bother?

But with no disrespect to that knowledgeable calculus professor or those (mostly) sincere TV preachers, I surprisingly encountered a super-teacher in my mid-40s who was so slick I didn’t even realize education was happening until I picked up a Bible late in 2001 and suddenly its ancient words were making profound, life-changing sense.

Some time after that – time of study, prayer, learning, and growth – I knew I had encountered the Holy Spirit who I am convinced was lurking in wait for the right time, place, and circumstance to spring Jesus on me. What happened?  My then-teenaged son I love wanted to go to church so I went with him.  The Holy Spirit had me at “hello.”

God is the Father and Jesus is the Light, but it is the Holy Spirit who teaches our hearts and minds to discern the otherwise unimaginable wisdom and power of God. As Jesus said, “He will take the things of mine and show them to you,” (John 16:14).

And so He did, and so He will.  Such is the loving calculus of eternal life.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) reports that the definition of “Calculus” at MIT’s website begins: “Calculus is the study of how things change.” How perfect is that?

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts