Monday, November 19, 2018

627 - What Was I Thinking...


Spirituality Column #627
November 20, 2018
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

What Was I Thinking …
By Bob Walters

“I have decided … to follow Jesus. No turning back, no turning back…” Gospel hymn

November is a major month in my personal faith history, with no date I can think of more “major” than Sunday, Nov. 18, 2001: the day – evening, really – I was baptized.

Christian doctrines being diverse as they are, “Baptism” means different things to different churches and to different people.  Sprinkled as babies or dunked (or sprinkled) as adults, the meaning of Christian baptism is universally understood to be a declaration and signal of new life, ownership, protection, and salvation in Jesus Christ – none of which means anything to the secular and non-Christian world.

And that was pretty much my world until September of 2001 at age 47 when I first showed up in church as an adult.  Growing up in the 1950s and 60s in America, I like most people went to church because it was just a thing you did.  Back then it was weird if you didn’t go to church.  Today, culture insists it’s weird if you go.  But I’ll take God’s truth over an errant view of weirdness any day, and I’ll take eternal faith in Jesus Christ over momentary fashion every day.  I’ve learned to do that the past 17 years.

On baptism, it is critical to note a couple of things.  One, “being baptized” only truly counts if it is accepted with sentient free will, which is how it is always represented in the Bible.  Infant christenings and baby dedications are wonderful ways for parents and the church body to prayerfully declare their intentions for a child to live a life with Jesus, but that child is going to grow up and have to make a decision about that.  And while I believe He does, I do not understand how God intercedes with children and the mentally infirm except that He does it with love.

Two, the New Testament mentions baptism in a couple different ways – with water and with the Spirit: “baptized in John” (the Baptist) and “baptized in Christ.”  Water baptism is an ancient ceremonial cleansing common to many religions and cultures prior to Christ. Baptism in the Spirit is only in Christ, and was brand new with Jesus.  The water was the same, but the effect is dramatically different; the first was mere cleansing, while baptism “in the spirit” was and is the presence of God.

I believe God loves each one of us.  I pray each human being would be accepting of baptism.  Exactly how God is going to sort us all out – the Bible is pretty clear in some aspects and utterly opaque in others – isn’t something that I give much thought to.  Jesus tells us to trust Him, not to judge for Him, and I’m OK with that.

Baptism for me wasn’t a “beginning,” any more than a wedding is the “beginning” of a relationship.  I felt – solemnly – that I “met” Jesus for the first time sitting in that September 2001 church service.  I didn’t know much about Jesus, but God showed me a way to learn.  Then-senior minister Dave Faust at East 91st St. Christian Church in Indianapolis taught a “Walking with Christ” class over four Sunday evenings beginning in mid-October.  Dave led, the Spirit showed up, and suddenly the Bible – for the first time in my life – was making sense to me.  The spiritual and intellectual depth of Christ was at once obvious, riveting, unfathomable, compelling, and … really, really important.

It wasn’t fear or greed or guilt or needing to belong or any other common and overly-preached sermon point that made me raise my hand and “go forward” to be baptized.  I’d thought about the decision, wasn’t sure if it was the right time or not, but when the time came – Dave had told us there would be an opportunity “to come forward” at the end of the last class and be baptized later – for me there was just no point in waiting.   It was about 8 p.m. Sunday and three of us had stood up in the class of 20 or so.  To schedule the baptisms Dave asked, “When?” and I said, “How about right now?”  He laughed and said, “OK!”

Next thing you know we three, Dave, and most of the class (including table discussion leaders) hiked down to the church sanctuary where Dave turned on the lights, opened the baptistery, and into the water we went.  I’ll never, ever forget the calm, joyous, thankful, and spirit-rich feeling of coming back up into life with Christ.

What was I thinking?  I didn’t imagine that I was sin-free or a better person or part of some club.  No; I was smiling, was profoundly at peace, and was very much in a moment of profound gratitude, not thinking about what I would “become” as a Christian.  But the baptism stuck, and every Nov. 18 I say a prayer of remembrance and thanks to God – with a nod to the ministry of Dave Faust – for the magnificent, mysterious gift we have in Jesus.

And I think what I realized most in that baptismal moment was that a gift is not a gift until you open it.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) writes a personal and probably too-long letter to Dave Faust every year on this baptismal anniversary that is equal parts faith inventory, new stuff learned, books read, people encountered, challenges faced … and the deepest thanks for his ministry.  If you’ve been reading these “thankful” columns the past few weeks, Dave and Russ Blowers (it was Russ’s 50th anniversary at E91) preached together on that first Sunday I was at church, Sept. 2, 2001.  In 2002 Faust left E91 to become president of Cincinnati Christian University, and returned to the E91 staff as Associate Minister in 2014.  Walters also thanks Corey and Christy Falink who shepherded Bob’s study table at Dave 2001 class.  Corey is currently an elder at E91.  And speaking of thanks, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts