Monday, January 14, 2019

635 - Let's Be Friends

Spirituality Column #635
January 15, 2019
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Let’s Be Friends
By Bob Walters

The Bible has plenty to say about friends and enemies, and I think the manner in which we choose both says a lot about our attitude – and happiness – in this life.

Simply and most likely, we’ll be friends with that which we love and makes us feel secure, and enemies of that which we hate and makes us feel insecure. And here’s a news flash … no two of us have the exact same formula or priorities in establishing this life-defining, decision-making dynamic but many of us, over time, develop the same incredibly effective starting point: Jesus Christ – Lord, friend, shepherd, and God.

That’s certainly not where I started and not where I spent most of my life, which has been predominantly rich with great friends and relationships and occasionally burdened with a few clunkers.  But it was just the most surprising thing a few years back when, sitting in church for the first time as an adult – a middle-aged adult at that – with no expectations whatsoever, and realized right then and there that Jesus had taken a seat right next to me.  And I – however it happens - knew it was time to become friends.

Thankfully at that particular time, I knew absolutely nothing about the Bible except that I didn’t understand it.  I had no theological training whatsoever.  I had only the barest comprehension of doctrine and church history from what I remembered from being an altar boy in the Episcopal Church as a kid.  I had the Father-Son-Holy Spirit basics: God created the world, Jesus His Son died on the Cross and was Resurrected – which somehow resulted in my being forgiven for sins to which I was reluctant to admit because I “wasn’t a bad person “– and this Holy Spirit was a third, mysterious part of the Trinity and had something to do with prayer.  The Bible?  Just an old book; no big deal.

That was Bob vis-à-vis God in 2001: a blank slate, with a new friend, Jesus.

And since then I’ve never stopped learning.  In my case I could tell Jesus was a true friend because He brought, almost immediately, the most amazing parade of Christian mentors and church opportunities into my life, and it has continued ever since.  Friendships with devout Christians developed.  Importantly, the Spirit turned on the lights when it came to Bible study.  Within a couple of months I was baptized; within a year of that, I had read the entire Bible.  What ensued was a wonderful education in knowing Him and learning faithful Christian theology, doctrine, and history.  There was growth, change, and so many new friends – none more evident than Jesus Himself.

So call me crazy for saying this, but it’s these friendships with Him and through Him that I treasure above all.  It’s greater to me than the promise of salvation, more than eternal life, more than the prospect of whatever it is that’s going to happen in Heaven, more than the forgiveness of my sins.  I’m glad all that happened/will happen, but it is the faith in Jesus that I possess right now and somehow, mysteriously, understand, that lights my path.  The “next life” stuff still coming is great, I “get” it, but marvelous things – wide-open and huge things – attend a deep friendship with Jesus Christ … today.

That’s my attitude; it’s what I love, makes me secure, and brings a smile.  This new friend provided a new starting point, a stirred soul, and a finish worth shooting for.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) doesn’t keep a running salvational score, but prefers the peace of friends over the chaos of enemies and figures God – who is Love – sent Jesus to accomplish exactly that.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts