Monday, October 21, 2019

675 - A True Gift

Spirituality Column #675
October 22, 2019
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

A True Gift
By Bob Walters

“Sanctify them by your truth; your word is truth.” – Jesus praying, John 17:17

Somewhere during His last earthly night in Jerusalem, between the Last Supper and the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus paused to pray for Himself, for the Disciples, and for all believers yet to come.

The frightened disciples listened as Jesus first prayed for Himself to be glorified with God, obedient to His Father, and to return gloriously to eternal life in heaven.

Next, Jesus focused on God’s ownership, His own leadership, and the Disciples’ stewardship of God’s word as He departed from them. Jesus prayed they would realize that their joy-to-come hangs on two things: the trustworthy words Jesus has passed on to them, and the unchanging truth of God which will be the strength of their faith.

Jesus then prayed for all future believers – us – who would learn the truth of God through the words shared by Jesus with the Disciples.  Jesus, right there, is praying for you and me, that we will know the truth of God’s word, God’s Son, and God’s love.

Truth.  When I boil down everything I “get” from my faith in Christ, I can’t come up with anything that is more satisfying, more steadying, more joyful, more compelling, or more helpful than knowing the truth of God, or at least that truth exists, and that Jesus is the reliable truth of God. “I am the way, and the truth, and the life” (John 14:6), He said.

In my life I have been fortunate, lucky, blessed, or whatever you want to call it to have been in the close company of some extraordinarily smart, talented, and successful folks. Attorneys and physicians, PhDs and pro athletes, astute business execs, inventors, gifted writers, teachers, and musicians, not to mention servant-hearted volunteers, politicians, missionaries, preachers … fascinating and productive folks all.

But it was well into my life, my late 40s to be exact, when truth actually caught up with me in the form of faith in Jesus Christ.  None of us knows the entire truth of God, but knowing Christ means we know God is entirely true.  By whatever gift of grace and faith a measure of God’s knowledge and wisdom is shared with and through me, that is my most thrilling aspect of Jesus.  Nothing is bigger or better.  “My truth” can’t compare.

Not everyone alluded to above is a believer.  Like you, I have beloved family, friends, and even longtime confidantes for whom truth means something other than Jesus.  And when I say “other,” I truly mean lesser.  We are all welcome to our opinions, but truth is the superior province of God alone.  Through the words of Jesus – in faith – truth enriches human life in the form of relationship with God.  It’s my favorite gift of all.

Perhaps the most cynical question in the Bible is when Pontius Pilate asks Jesus, “What is truth?” (John 18:38).  “Truth” was standing broken and bloodied right in front of him and Pilate “knew Him not.  Notice Pilate didn’t counter that Caesar was “truth,” only insinuating that truth was undefinable in worldly and situational terms.

No. Jesus is it.  Truth requires the involvement and sanction of God.  Culture hates that because, like Pilate, the world has an agenda separate from God’s love.

When Jesus prays that God would “Sanctify them by the truth,” the Disciples are being set-apart for a unique and holy purpose: to witness the truth of Jesus to mankind.

I’m thankful my sins are forgiven, hopeful for a heavenly home, restful in the arms of Jesus, peaceful in the security of the Holy Spirit, and energized by God’s love.

But the truth is, God’s truth is my ultimate blessing.  Faith comes easy after that.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) was blind but now can see; and that’s the truth.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts