Monday, November 11, 2019

678 - Reasonable Faith

Spirituality Column #678
November 12, 2019
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Reasonable Faith
By Bob Walters

“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” – 1 Peter 3:15

I had a zillion Bible and theological questions when I became a serious, baptized, born-again Christian back in 2001.

At age 47 I was a blank slate when it came to Jesus.  Thankfully, God put some great people close to me early on – Russ Blowers, Dave Faust, George Bebawi, John Samples – who could field any question.  I needed answers and definitions and in that season of my life, for better or worse, I was blessed with time to read the Bible.

And I mean, I read all of it.  Genesis to Revelation.  I cheated just a bit skimming some of the repetitive sections in Deuteronomy and Chronicles, and I didn’t always read absolutely every name or place in every chapter.  I discovered that reading Psalms – in order, en masse – was counterproductive.  Better to take them one-at-a-time; better to pray over them, better to let them soak in, better to pray them to God as you go. Slowly.

Anyhow, Russ – who died 12 years ago this past weekend, Nov. 10, 2007 – loved people and taught me to see chaos in the world not as punishment but as evidence of a fallen world, hence the need for Christ, hence the hope of eternal joy.

Dave, the church pastor who baptized me, taught my first “Bible study” and suddenly this “old book” (that’s what I used to call it) that made no sense to me earlier in life came vibrantly alive.  I met God and Jesus on its pages.  The Spirit turned out to be no joke.  Life’s moment-by-moment “reality” shifted to solid reliance on eternal truth.

George – good grief, where would I be without George Bebawi? – laughed when I asked him early on, “Why was evil allowed to enter the Garden of Eden?”  “Bob, it is a story” he answered in jovial assuredness.  That response threw me at the time but when we realize, unquestionably, that God communicates in stories, it was a perfect answer. I learned to focus less on Satan, sin, and the snake and more on the truth of the story: that God is righteous but gives His created beings freedom to love Him or not.

Why?  God is good and God is love, but love cannot be coerced.  Neither can it be defined.  When we define love, we lose it because we have given it limits.  Neither God nor love has limits. I wrote recently that love is never a list but that truly divine and sacrificial love allows us to join God’s grace, obedience, and example that we see in Christ.  Jesus is the model for God’s perfection of humanity.  Our joy is chasing it.

John Samples – pastor, friend, counselor, and encourager – has trusted me with teaching his Bible study class and standing in a small pulpit for him, preaching Christ.

All this is to say that, more than what we will ever “know,” it is our relationships that magnify a walk with Christ, just as they illuminate the eternal community within the Holy Trinity – Father, Son, Spirit.  In our relationships we taste, briefly, the obedience, grace, love, and glory of Kingdom life.  It is real, though I cannot – and have learned that I do not need to – define it beyond the great peace and hope of knowing Jesus.

Yes, learn about the Bible, the Church, history, tradition, and 2,000 years of human intellectual and spiritual investment that tells us when we know Jesus, we know truth exists.  But I’ve learned that the reason for my faith is not what I know.

The reason for my faith resides in the relationships my faith has created.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) notes that 1 Peter 3:15 (above), says to give an answer for “your” faith; not the faith of others around you … that’s the Spirit’s job.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts