Monday, June 15, 2020

709 - Gimme Shelter, Part 1

Spirituality Column #709
June 16, 2020
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Gimme Shelter, Part 1
By Bob Walters

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.” – Psalm 91:14

It was admittedly an odd spot to have this particular revelation, and it was long before I came to know Christ, but I remember the moment vividly to this very day.

The topic here is “realizing you are part of something bigger than yourself,” even if the lesson emanated from secular life.  For me I think it was helpful – maybe even necessary –to get that concept in worldly perspective before I could truly appreciate being attached to the divine perspective that is bigger than all things – Jesus Christ.

The occasion – this is the “odd spot” part – was the retirement tribute program at the Indianapolis Athenaeum in May 1993 for four-time Indianapolis 500 champion Rick Mears.  I spent a chunk of my career writing about and publicizing professional racing and in 1993 was the Public Relations Director at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I hired into that job a year earlier in January 1992, still nearly 10 years personally away from Jesus.  But I understood the Speedway’s “bigness” … with an ecclesiastical spin.  When asked what it was like to “work at the Speedway” I had a ready aphorism: “If you’re going to work in religion, you may as well work at the Vatican.”

I really felt that way; IMS was and is a very big deal in auto racing.  And after nearly eight years traveling with the family circus of drivers, teams, sponsors, officials, and media of Indy Car and NASCAR I pretty much knew everybody.  It was all normal.  I was like the fish who doesn’t get the concept of water because it’s in it all the time.

It wasn’t just the race tracks.  There were fancy “do’s” like the NASCAR banquet in New York City, any number of formal events around Indy and CART, parties here and charity benefits there.  That was a time in my life I owned two tuxedos.  Both fit.

Don’t worry … I’m not going to compare Rick Mears to Jesus.  But I knew Rick well enough to like him and that 1993 Indy event Marlboro hosted for him – the program itself – was remarkably well done.  Rick had sustained crash injuries the previous two years and at age 41 probably retired “before his time.”  It fed the emotion of the evening.

In that program the best-known, best-liked, best competitors and personalities in racing brought their “A” game to honor Rick’s driving career.  I don’t remember a single specific thing about the program, but strolling out into the theater lobby at its conclusion it struck me not “how lucky to be a part of it” but how much bigger than me it all was.

Well, the glory days.  I internalized this idea of “bigger than me,” though it didn’t change my life or “save me.”  What I had, in a revelatory and newly mysterious way, was gratitude for a larger “thing” in relation to the relative smallness of my own being.

Next week we’ll talk about something “bigger than me” – a shelter – that changes all of us.

Walters  (rlwcom@aol.comthen had no idea how “bigger than me” Jesus was/is.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts