Monday, July 27, 2020

715 - Human Nature, Part 4


Spirituality Column #715
July 28, 2020
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Human Nature, Part 4
By Bob Walters

“There is none righteous; no, not one.” – Romans 3:10

Our central Christian theme on sin seems to be, generally, “What did I do wrong and how is it going to hurt me?”

Many a sermon and devotional have been built on that premise.  We love to beat ourselves up in shame.  We sin, and fear what “God will do to me” or “What will other’s think?”  Most of us have committed head-shakingly awful and/or embarrassing deeds that – whether intentional, accidental, born of passion, or simply lacking in discipline and discernment – make us wonder if “God still loves me” and “How can He forgive me?”

Notice, here, that sin keeps coming back to how it affects “me.”

As we wrap up this series on sin today I want to leave you with some thoughts on what sin actually is (and does), and how to live a joyous life anyway.

Sin. Let’s start with the Ten Commandments. Do or don’t do these 10 things and you, yourself, will be virtuous, pious, and saved.  But when we update that to what Jesus said, we learn that what constitutes “all the law and the prophets” – the entire behavioral, sin-vetting shebang – is “Love God and love others.”  It’s not about “me.” 

I don’t think it is possible to hurt God, but it is possible to hurt others.  And that’s why I don’t think the commandments are so much a personal behavioral checklist.  I think they are a humanity-wide advisory for “how things will go best with us.”  In other words, maybe “my sin” isn’t so much about hurting me, it’s about how it hurts others.

Notice how each commandment, each parable, each Jesus teaching give us instruction for how best to live together.  When we isolate sin and salvation to “me” we miss God’s most important attribute and advice – love.  Wonder why God is a trinity, why God is three?  Because love cannot exist within a “one.” Neither can sin simply exist within a “one.” The danger and effect of sin is in how it disrupts the peace and love of the community, and throughout human history there has been plenty of disruption.

Oddly enough, history’s greatest disruption was our greatest gift – Jesus Christ.  He talked, taught, and demonstrated God’s love for others by going to the cross.  The cross is an important point, but don’t miss the part about “loving others.”  When we don’t do that – love others – that’s when we sin.  It’s really not just me; it’s all of us, everyone.

Our mess in the world of the moment is less a pandemic of Covid-19 than a larger pandemic of self-directed righteousness.  Notice the weird, religious-like culture separating us by our features and beliefs, calling it “social justice.”  Divide and conquer.

To spot the sin, spot the self-righteousness.  Spot the separation; the control.

That each of us harbors a sin-nature of self-interest is no surprise.  But our sacrifice in Christ is best manifested in our ability to help – not hurt, subvert, or alienate – others.  It is to provide freedom; not to exact a payment of shame, guilt, or silence.

In Christ my on-board sins were forgiven on the cross; His sacrifice glorified God.  Our own joy, now, happens by exemplifying Jesus’ example of forgiveness and mercy to others which also glorifies God.  I’m a sinner, yes, but I’ll spend my sin “debt” not on the misery of personal shame, but by joyously sharing love and mercy for God’s glory.

That’s how we turn sin into joy.  Praise Jesus, it’s the best of our human nature.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) notes: my sin affects others; forgiveness affects me.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts