Monday, September 7, 2020

721 - Everyone Who Believes, Part 1


Spirituality Column #721
September 8, 2020
Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Everyone Who Believes, Part 1
By Bob Walters

“I am obligated both to the Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and foolish.  That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.  I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes …” – Paul, Romans 1:14-16

Sin, guilt, and shame so often frame the evangelical pitch of modern Christianity, but it is our faith, not our shame, that should be front and center before the Lord.

That we are sinners is a fact; that we are saved is a gift.  Let’s focus on that.

A couple weeks ago at lunch with minister and friend Dave Faust – we’re both writers and our reading tastes sync up pretty well so conversation never lags – I offered a low-toned lament about shame’s seeming everywhere-ness in the salesmanship of Christian life.  Joy, I mentioned, is the more apt and hopeful coin of the realm.  Let joy spread our focus outward, rather than allowing shame to draw our focus inward.

“Thee” is always a more rewarding mission field than “me.”

Anyway, I then said out loud that even in the joyous setting of recent baptisms I had witnessed, “shame” was front and center with the celebrants wearing t-shirts adorned with what to me seemed like the reverse/negative affirmation of Paul’s comment recorded in Romans 1:16 (above), “I am not ashamed of the Gospel…”


Dave, you see, is an actual preacher, pastor, teacher, retired Christian college president, and biblical scholar; I am a former sportswriter. Hence, though I may have an occasional edge in worldly wisecracks and sports metaphors, there is no contest when it comes to Dave’s superior hermeneutical (Bible interpretation) depth or observations.

“You think that line is bad?” Dave asked, incredulously.  “Look at it in context.  It’s one of Paul’s three ‘I am’ statements: I am obligated, I am eager, and I am not ashamed.”  Dave noted that all three “I ams” perfectly state ideas that would resonate deeply with the Christian audience in Rome – obedience, loyalty, perseverance … and “No, I am not ashamed” of declaring faith in Christ in the home of Caesar, the seat of the powerful Roman empire’s pagan culture, and its Greek-influenced intellectual life.

Game, set, and match to Dave.  And the Apostle Paul.  On further review, I also noticed the poignancy of that last phrase quoted above, “salvation of everyone who believes.”  If you are counting on heaven to be a criteria-less all-skate, that line nails down the ascendancy of belief, and – if you will – the decendancy of non-belief.

Jesus, we might add, is renowned for numerous “I am” statements, probably led by John 14:6, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”  It’s the same basic sentiment; salvation resides solely in Christ.

It’s a great day when you learn something new.  But I also have something else on my mind akin to and following this that we’ll discuss soon, because it was a simple, innocent but I think sincere and seeking question put to me by an old, old friend: “Are you ever embarrassed being a Christian?”  Chew on that one until next week.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) sees Jesus Christ as wisdom, not foolishness.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts