Monday, September 12, 2022

826 - Naturally at Odds

Friends,

Here is Common Christianity column #826 (9-13-22), “Naturally at Odds.” Not everyone is a candidate for the Christian hard-sell, but sticking up for the truth is basic to Christian faith.  See the column below.  Blessings!  Bob

(P.S. – RE: Paragraph 4, I am now aware that the Colts tied at Houston, 20-20 in OT, and Will Power won the Indy Car title on Sunday at Laguna Seca. Cheers.)

-- -- --

Spirituality Column #826

September 13, 2022

Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

Naturally at Odds

By Bob Walters

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist.  But at the bottom of the glass, God is waiting for you.” – Werner Heisenberg, 1932 Nobel Prize in Physics, theory of quantum mechanics.

I often run into my engaging and friendly neighbor Jeff on my evening walks with our little dog Kramer. Jeff is a sports fan, knows a lot about auto racing, has two kids in budding journalism careers, and was a college lecturer in philosophy and writing.

Jeff’s obvious life interests closely mirror my previous (and I might add, long ago) career in sports writing and sports / auto racing media relations, so our conversations are lively.  I’ve worked with a lot of people he’s read about.

Truth be told, while I stay in touch with a handful of good friends from my sports days, for the most part I truly no longer “follow” sports.  For example, as I write this on Saturday, I know it is the opening weekend of the NFL but have no idea who the Colts are playing, or where.  I couldn’t tell you who is leading (or won?) the Indy Car points.

As I mentioned last week, in retirement I now drive a school bus.  I still write a lot, and virtually all of my writing is about faith life in Jesus Christ: this weekly column, our weekly Mustard Seed Bible study packets, a monthly sermon / service at a senior living center, an occasional church communion homily, and various correspondence.

Plus, I’m reading all the time – virtually all of it “religious stuff” or cultural / political commentary.  Like Dolly Parton once said, “I have opinions about everything and everybody,” but here, to preserve the focus, we stick to the central topic of life in Christ.

Which brings us back around to my evening walks with Kramer.

Jeff is a wise, erudite, chatty, and world-worn guy … with no use for God.

We encounter folks often, don’t we, who are not candidates for the Christian hard-sell?  Jeff is one of those guys.  He knows of my Christian writing, but I think the only thing of mine he’s ever read is a Dale Earnhart obituary I wrote in 2001.  Jeff knows I believe in Christ and for now that’s enough.  We intellectually spar and laugh.   

In a recent evening chat Jeff mused, “You should talk to my brother,” who I was surprised to learn is a Christian minister … though in a denomination not noted for its, um, biblical precision.  My knee jerk question to Jeff was, “Does your brother believe the Bible?”  And Jeff’s (not his real name) knee jerk answer was, “Yes … but not literally.”

“Good Lord,” I responded.  “You’re not supposed to believe it literally.  Does your brother believe the Bible is true?”   “I suppose he does,” was Jeff’s smiling response.

Sigh.  That’s about par for philosophers; they think it is their job to be the definers and purveyors of truth, when that job belongs to Jesus Christ.  The Bible is stories, poetry, parables, metaphors, symbolism, allegory, history, God’s word … and the truth. 

But, “Jesus lived, died, was buried, and resurrected?” That’s one “literal” part folks reject, but the fact of the resurrection – its literal occurrence – is the cornerstone of faith, forgiveness, and salvation. If that’s not literal and true, there is no Bible or Church.

It’s an unfortunate development of the past 150 years, as theology has tried to compete academically with science, that “proving the Bible literally” has become a thing.

Faith is lived, not proven. It’s what philosophers would call a “category mistake.”

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) invited Jeff to church; Jeff still prefers CBS News.

0 comments:

Archives

Labels

Enter your email address to get updated about new content:

Popular Posts