1031 - Car Keys and Life Keys
Friends: You can’t get to heaven with good deeds, but they sure make the trip more enjoyable. See the column below. Blessings, Bob
--- --- ---
Spirituality
Column #1031
August
18, 2026
Common
Christianity / Uncommon Commentary
Car
Keys and Life Keys
By
Bob Walters
“I’ve
learned that doing good and good deeds are not the key to going to heaven.” –
Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the “Bless Your ’Hardt” video podcast last week with wife
Amy.
“For
by grace you are saved through faith … not by works.” – Ephesians 2:8-9
This
column is going to be a bit of a mash-up of thoughts from my earlier life and
my current life, but generally this is about “doing good,” why we do good
things, and who benefits from the good deeds when a Christian believes in and
obeys God.
First
… my former life. It’s hard to believe it has been 30-plus years ago, but my
working career from 1985 well into 2001 focused almost entirely on auto racing.
I worked first as a sportswriter and then in media relations in the top
echelons of motorsport: the Indianapolis 500, CART Indy Car, NASCAR, and NHRA
Drag Racing.
These
were fun jobs at the pinnacle of a highly visible, boutique, and closely knit industry.
Let’s spare you the details of my
resume, but in the 1980s and 1990s I either knew, worked with, or was loosely
acquainted with most of the drivers, sponsors, events, sanctioning bodies, and
especially the media involved in elite auto racing.
I
don’t follow it much anymore as I got away from it, grew past it, and the
players changed and charged into a new generation. I pestered Bernie Ecclestone
relentlessly from the late 1990s into the early 2000s to establish a Formula I public
relations office in North America and hire me to run it; he did neither. That
was my last gasp in the trade.
My
racing years were years far from Christ. But I was always taken by the large
turnout on NASCAR race mornings for the drivers’ and families’ chapel services
in the garage area, which I never attended but were open to anyone with a
garage pass.
I
still see lots of motorsports content on Facebook, and Dale Jr’s quote about
good deeds and heaven (FB
Link, 1:01, Dale and Amy – language warning) are, as they say in racing,
“spot on.” He was voted NASCAR’s most popular driver 15 times and is worth a
reputed $300 million. He’s done well, though his witness would be strengthened
without the cuss words. He’s obviously “getting it” that faith in Christ begets
the deeds that matter.
And
good deeds matter because they improve our lives and the lives of those around
us. We don’t do good deeds “to get into heaven;” we do them because living in
faith with the Spirit improves the lives we lead now. Our good deeds today reveal
the heavenly realms of a life being lived for Christ and with love for others.
That’s a reward in this life.
I
don’t think I ever met Dale Jr. He was shifting into the top realms of racing
as I was heading out to pasture. But I knew his dad, Dale Earnhardt Sr., “The
Intimidator,” who was as rough-and-tumble as his moniker suggested. I
didn’t know Dale Sr. well, but I knew him well enough to like him and was
devastated when he died in a crash at Daytona in 2001.
Now
here we are 25 years later. Something else happened in 2001 that changed my
life and how I looked at everything in it.
Sitting in church that Labor Day weekend 2001 – my first Sunday church
visit in 30 years – I teared up and realized this Jesus thing was no joke. The
Holy Spirit has had me ever since; I was baptized weeks later on November 18.
Today
I’m teaching high school history and civics at Mission Christian Academy in
Fishers, Indiana, and married to Pam, who is MCA’s junior-senior English
teacher. Together we marvel at God’s gift of putting us in this spot at this
advanced time in our lives where we can share both our knowledge and our faith
with teenagers thirsty to live by the Spirit in an ever more challenging
world. It unlocks God’s love and truth,
and gladdens our hearts.
As
our MCA school year began last week, it was a joy to return to an environment where
faith in Christ and the positive impact it has on our own lives and the lives
of those around us – especially teenagers – are celebrated and cherished. More
on that next week.
Walters
(rlwcom@aol.com)
prays for Dale Jr.’s continued growth in Christ.
0 comments:
Post a Comment