1033 - Flash in the Pan
Friends: I call Sept. 2 my “Awake Date,” and here’s why … 25 years ago this week. Blessings, Bob
--- --- ---
Spirituality Column #1033
September 1,
2026
Common
Christianity / Uncommon Commentary
Flash
in the Pan
By
Bob Walters
“Praise
be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the
heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” – Ephesians 1:3 NIV
This
fall is a season of personal milestones, marking 25 years of a life in Christ I
never expected and for 47 previous years I never imagined.
That
takes us back to 2001 – September 2, to be exact – then a personal season of
significant turmoil none of which, consciously, was leading me to Christ nor
looking for answers from Jesus. Crisis was real, but, stubborn me, I never
tried to solve it in church.
My
very fun career in sports writing, media relations in college and professional
sports, and 15-ish seasons in auto racing PR had foundered. Debt was high, the
house was in jeopardy, my marriage was in trouble, and bankruptcy loomed on the
very near horizon.
Oh,
and the 9/11 Islamic terrorist attacks on the nation were nine days away.
It
all sounds like a perfect precursor to “Let’s find Jesus!” It was
nothing like that.
Prayer
was the one thing I hadn’t really tried.
Through most of my life in times of turmoil I’d say the Lord’s Prayer
because it was the only prayer I knew, left over from my youth in the Episcopal
Church. I knew the prayer, but didn’t know Jesus. I watched a fair amount of
Christian TV on cable those intervening years, but none of it really stuck.
Maybe
it was the cable TV preachers that softened me up for the day I woke up to
Christ, September 2, 2001. I found myself sitting at East 91st
Street Christian Church in Indianapolis and – almost inexplicably – feeling
very happy about being there.
I’ve
written this many times, but two weeks earlier my then-8th grade son
Eric, at the dinner table, asked, “How come we don’t go to church?” On the school
bus, kids around him talked about what churches they attended. He simply asked his
mom and me why we didn’t.
This
was a school bus in Carmel, Indiana, a thriving community of money, education,
families, achievement, and as it turns out, faith. Six of Indiana’s largest churches, along with
three huge Catholic parishes, are either in Carmel or in communities adjacent
to it.
These
are the kinds of communities that attend church. I thought it was only the
mono-syllabic country folk who actually believed this stuff. My whole life I’ve
been blessed with really smart friends. Now, smart friends with deep faith would
raise the intellectual bar.
Anyway,
Eric and his younger brother John bought into the idea of church. Their mother
Jean (my wife until 2006) had a sister who was looking for a new church, and they
settled on trying E91 because it was almost exactly between our two homes.
We
dropped the boys off in their respective Sunday school areas, which were
lively, welcoming, and fun. We adults headed to the sanctuary; it was my first
exposure to contemporary worship, extemporaneous prayer, and communion without all
the priestly robes and ceremony of the Episcopal “high church” liturgy and eucharist.
Culture
shock aside, E91’s wonderful longtime pastor Russ Blowers, who had retired in
1996 but was still a rock of the congregation, happened to be celebrating his
exact, 50-years-to-the-day anniversary – since September 2, 1951 – of serving the
church.
Russ,
sharing the pulpit with E91’s senior minister Dave Faust, preached on 1
Corinthians 13, the “Love” chapter, a Bible verse I’d heard many times at
weddings. Never thought much about it. This was different: Faith is past, hope
is future, and love is now.
Russ’s
delivery, Dave’s follow-up, and the congregation’s expressed love for both of
them, not to mention the church’s obvious corporate and personal understanding
of Jesus, turned this from a mere visit into a new life direction. It was the
day I awoke to God’s truth.
During
the sermon, my eyes welled up and my throat clutched. Over time I’ve realized
my career years amount to a flash in the pan. Faith in Jesus, happily, is not.
Walters
(rlwcom@aol.com)
apologizes if this is repetitive, but it is his favorite story, and Ephesians
1:3 is the first Bible verse he memorized. Russ, by the way, baptized John in
2004 and Eric in 2005. A dear friend, Russ died in 2007.
0 comments:
Post a Comment